I have so many conflicting emotions lately - thank you pregnancy hormones! I've been debating laying it all out there vs spreading this post out over several....time won and it will have to be all or nothing I think. I just don't have the time to blog as much as I would like to anymore and I am sure once baby girl gets here, it will just be worse. Here is an abbreviated version of the emotions that are going on...
Guilt: This has been a struggle since we got pregnant. Don't get me wrong - we are extremely excited to have been surprised with this pregnancy and can't wait to meet our little girl. However, I can't help but feel guilty. How is Lexi going to take this new addition? I don't want her to feel left out or replaced or anything of the like. I want her to know that no matter what, we love her more than life itself. Then there's the 'how am I going to do this?' with two under two - and at different stages developmentally? yikes. Can I devote the time and attention they will both need - without one feeling like they are getting the short end of the stick? Have I had enough time with just Lexi? I can't imagine loving another person as much as I love Lexi - I love her so much it hurts sometimes. Can I love this other baby enough? I hate feeling like this. I know that having a sibling will be one of the greatest gifts we can give our children. My hope is that they will be the best of friends throughout their lives - I know there will be times that are tough, but I hope that in the end they are more than just sisters.
Despair - I am crushed by the news that I will be having a hysterectomy at the time of baby girls birth. We did get a second opinion - and well, they have the same opinion; he would be "very worried" about this accreta as it looks "bad" - his treatment plan would be no different as it would likely be the only way to save my life. Obviously, I don't want to die, so I am coming to terms with this and am near acceptance - maybe already there as it no longer has me a big sobbing mess to talk about it. BUT - here is the thing: I am so, so worried that I will always be at least a little bit sad about this. I really wanted to have one more baby after this - or at least have the option to TRY to have one more. Am I going to always be sad on her birthday? viewing it as the day that one dream came true but another was destroyed? I don't want that, and I will be doing everything I can to avoid that. But, I can't help the way I feel - I still get sad around the due date of the baby we miscarried - yes, that pain has faded, but it is still there. I worry that I will always feel that longing to have another baby and knowing that it will never happen (unless we miraculously find the money for a surrogate - - haha - - unlikely!) makes me sad.
Fear - even with this treatment plan in place and all of the medical professionals that will be involved, there are no guarantees that I will make it out of this. Yes, the odds are drastically in my favor. But - there is still that 10-12% chance that I won't make it. The bleeding will be extensive - there will be several units of blood in the OR and the blood bank will be on notice that they may need more. But I am scared. I want to be there for my girls as they grow up. I want them to have their mommy - they need their mommy to be here. I know I just have to trust that the doctors and surgeons will obviously be doing everything they can to make sure that happens. But, I am scared. Really scared. I have started letters to the girls - things I would want to be there to teach them as they grow up - but OH MY GOD are they hard to write. No one wants to have to write a letter like this, trust me, it is horrible and it is taking me awhile because I just can't get it all out in one sitting.
And now all the emotions are getting to be a bit much and I have to close this out before I become a blubbering mess at 6am on a Sunday!


All of the tough feelings you're having are totally normal honey. :( Hang in there - I'll be praying for as smooth a delivery as possible for you and a happy, healthy Mom & baby when it's all said and done with. Hang in there. ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about you a lot. I agree with Josey, all of these feelings are so normal. Hard, frustrating, scary, but NORMAL. I will be praying for you and that sweet baby girl to have a safe delivery and for you to be able to see her birthday as the beginning of something beautiful instead of a sad ending.
ReplyDeleteI think of you often and WISH you were still here!
I agree with both of the ladies above... of course you are having these feelings. It is such a scary and huge thing you are going through and I can't even imagine being in your shoes. I hate that you are there. Thinking of you and hoping the delivery with this baby goes as smoothly as possible. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Big hugs!!
ReplyDeleteSending you lots of positive thoughts and virtual hugs. It's amazing to me, at times, when I realize just how much one person can go through and still wear a smile on their face. It isn't "fair". I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeletePopping over from PAIL to say that I will be praying for you. Praying for a healthy delivery and outcome. How hard to have to deal with such a scary complication. I am so sorry.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and your girls and wishing you peace. xx
ReplyDeleteI think of you several times a day, E. I can't imagine exactly what you are going through, although this post lays out a thorough account of your feelings. I can empathize with your feelings and I so wish I could say just the right thing to make you feel better about it. But the reality is that this is as hard as it gets. I am so sorry that this is happening. I send my warmest thoughts and hugs.
ReplyDeleteyou've been in my prayers, e. you will always remain in my thoughts and prayers. i wish you so much peace and am always keeping the faith for you and your family. you have every right to feel how you feel and i'm so glad you can come here and let it all out. sending so much LOVE
ReplyDeletexoxox