So things are going OK. It was an emotional weekend to say the least. I can't really even remember what all I wrote in my last post, guess I should have gone back and read it...but I didn't so I apologize for any repetitiveness.
Friday morning bright and early we went to the hospital to be induced. They started me on misopr.ostil (sp?) and after a couple hours I was having regular contractions, but they were 'too close' together, they checked me and I was still only minimally dilated but there was a lot of 'softening' going on. The meds are generally given every 3-4 hours, but because of the frequency of contractions they could not administer more. So we waited. and waited. and waited. Finally at about 5pm they decided to try another medication that is similar and I can't remember the name of, but it can be removed from the cervix when/if needed. About 2 1/2 hours later the three hours of hell began. I had the most intense, horrific back pain I have ever had in my life. The contractions were so hard they were "off the charts" quite literally and they were so close together that there was absolutely no break inbetween them. The awesome nurse I had was doing all she could, but the frequency was alarming because of the fact there was no break between them there was concern about the baby's safety - she needs a break from the pressure too! Nurse J said that this is worse than labor would be because at least with labor there is about a minute between contractions, I didn't even get five seconds. The nurse was out at the nurses station yelling at the dr for not returning her page fast enough. Finally, they pulled the meds (after giving me fen.tanyl). About an hour later the contractions slowed to an acceptable rate. They checked me again and still no progress. So, essentially, it was all for nothing. Awesome. Saturday we were given the option of trying pito.cin (no thanks - not after that experience), going home and see what happens (yes, please) and regrouping on Monday to discuss another induction or c-section...
Yesterday I saw the dr again in his office. After much discussion R and I decided that another induction was not in our future (I think it upset R more than me at the time....he doesn't like the helpless feeling). After talking to the doc it was concluded that the best option is to schedule a c-section. There is apparently concern about the size of the baby...perhaps bigger than originally thought (yay....said dripping with sarcasm). He is not against me trying to have her vaginally, but doesn't want to let things go on too long. So, Saturday is the big day. She has the rest of the week to make her appearance on her own (or at least attempt to) - this is of course dependent on my body cooperating....but why would it do that???? It hasn't been cooperating for the last few years, why oh why would it start now?!?
So, that is where we stand - in limbo waiting for something to happen...or not.
Thank you to all who have been so supportive this past week!!!


Saturday must seem so far away, considering you thought she would be here by now. I guess one can't predict anything about the birth process.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you went through that terrible pain and glad that you have the chance to recover before another attempt at birthing this little darling.
Keeping you in my thoughts.
Oh dear, sorry the induction didn't go as planned. Why didn't they start with Pitocin in the first place? However the baby is delivered, my prayers for an uneventful delivery and a happy health baby girl :) Waiting to hear the good news!
ReplyDeleteWow! Your body really isn't cooperating, is it? I hope that baby comes on it's own, but if she doesn't, a scheduled C isn't that bad. Hang in there! I hope that the next post of yours I read says "Heading to the hospital, water broke!" XXX
ReplyDeleteI'm glad there is now a final date when she will for sure be here! Thinking of you this week- I know you are ready to meet that little girl :)
ReplyDeleteoh E! I hear your pain!!! I haven't yet written our birth story, but OMG, induced labor is freakin intense. I thought I was prepared, but what I experienced was so beyond anything I could have imagined. After 12 hours of brutal intense labor, where I was screaming & vomiting thru each contraction, I looked at ML and said "please help me". I'd refused any internal checks during that time and everyone was convinced that I'd gone thru transition and would be ready to push.... I climbed onto the bed to be checked and was still at 1cm! 8 hours later after an epidural and pitocin I was still barely at 2cm. We started talking c-section, but decided to wait another hour then regroup and make decisions. I'd wanted a vaginal birth, but felt i'd given it everything I had and maybe it just wasn't meant to happen. An hour later contractions started breaking thru the epidural, the nurse checked and I had dilated to 10 cm and the baby's head was headed down the birth canal! I could reach down and feel his head! Epidural was turned off, dr was called, I pushed for about an hour, and my healthy baby boy was placed on my chest. It was all so surreal. I walked away feeling really good about the whole experience, so totally not what we'd planned, but incredible in any case. Feel free to call me if you want to chat - I can also send you our c-section birth plan if you want. I've been replaying details in my head for the past three weeks. Our bodies are pretty incredible, and can be totally unpredictable!
ReplyDeleteNo mater how your baby comes into this world, it will be beautiful and perfect. Sending you so much love, and strength, and courage as you embark on this most incredible life experience.
E! So sorry to hear..that sounds really awful!! I hope little girl comes all on her own OR Saturday comes quickly! Either one, I can't wait to see a pic of your sweet girl. Thinking of you and sending hugs!!!
ReplyDeleteoh my god!!! I am so sorry you had to suffer like that!!! I am thinking labor thoughts for you...I am just putting energy out there: baby come naturally!
ReplyDeletemy husband had a hard time with the helpless feeling too. He had to leave a couple times because it was hard for him to watch
ReplyDeleteThinking of you!!! =0)
ReplyDelete