The time has come to wean. Well, it came a few weeks ago, but we are still at it. We are down to nursing just 2-3 times a day (most days) and then at night. We co-sleep and night weaning has been a BIG problem.
But, it is time to cut back even more. Here's the thing - lately, nursing HURTS - really bad. I am not sure what is going on. I thought it might be due to the 8 teeth she has - and the fact that she occasionally bites (OUCH!) I thought maybe it was because when she would latch on and start to nurse her latch was too ... tight I guess. I don't know. Anyway, now let down is painful as well. So, it is time.
Here is the BIG problem. The girl LOVES to nurse and I don't really think she is ready to give it up. When she is tired or fussy or upset - she wants nothing to do with anything else - she ONLY wants to nurse. She will hit at an offered bottle and just gets progressively more and more mad.
Per our doctors recommendation we have consulted Dr. J.ay Gor.don's website and will be trying his method for night weaning. It is geared towards co-sleeping parents. I just need to do it - I am just SO tired that the thought of a few rough nights is daunting --- even though it will hopefully lead to better sleep in the long run.
Other than that, I just don't know what to do.
Just one tired, frustrated and sore momma.


Lids and I are starting our weaning journey too so I'd love to hear more about how it goes for you. It is tough, especially if Lexi doesn't seem quite ready. We don't co-sleep so I know that must be tougher to wean too. We are down to 3 feeds a day now since dropping one just this week and so far so good. I'll be writing more on my blog about it soon but love hearing from other moms in the same boat. Really hope it isn't too much of a struggle for you... but if it is hurting you so much, it sounds like it is time. I have actually heard a few moms say it started to hurt them during pregnancy.. do you think it could be that?? Well I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!!
ReplyDeleteI think that is a big part of it. I spoke with her pediatrician earlier and that was something they mentioned. That and maybe my supply is dwindling - maybe in part due to pregnancy? I don't know if that happens?? But if supply is part of the problem it could be that she is latching different or changing her latch to try and get more. It's rough for sure!
ReplyDeleteI don't have any advice for you, but just wanted to say I'm wishing that it's a smooth transition for you after checking out that website you mentioned. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with this!! I agree with Fiona - I'm guessing the pain is pregnancy related. Arch Mama was having the same issue. I hope the transition goes more smoothly than you're anticipating!
ReplyDelete