baby pregnancy

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Getting back to "normal"

Well, at least we are trying to. The week before Easter Lexi, my mom and I went to visit my grandmother. It was a short trip - we left on Tuesday and returned on Saturday. We had a very nice visit and I am glad that we were able to go - especially since it may be a little bit before I get back there once the new baby arrives.
We decided to fly since the 8+ hour drive with a one year old was a little daunting. The flights were OK and Lexi was only a little fussy. . . much to my relief. Lexi was pretty restless at Great Grandmas - though she "baby-proofed" there were still a LOT of things out that a toddler does not need to be into. That coupled with the very small space in her apartment made things challenging at times. But, we survived.
Now that we are back, however, Lexi seems to have developed a big case of separation anxiety - from me. She can't stand to not be with me. She does OK with my mom, thank goodness. But anyone else - including daddy - forget it. The problem with this isn't that she is left with just daddy all that often - she isn't - the problem is this: in the mornings I get up about an hour - hour and a half before Lexi and R and come down to get some work done. But, in the week and a half since we have been back, Lexi wakes up the second I start to get out of bed and FREAKS out if I leave the room. She used to just lay down next to daddy and go back to sleep. Now she wants nothing to do with him and screams the entire time I am gone (I have just been taking the dogs down and getting them taken care of then returning upstairs to retrieve Lexi and bring her back down with me).
I have discovered in the last week just how important that quiet time in the mornings is to my mental health (and work productivity). I am going crazy not having that "me" time (such as it is) and I just don't know what to do to help her adjust to being home again and back in our routine.
Maybe it is a phase she would have gone through anyway?
Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. i'm glad you had a nice trip visitng your grandmother. so sorry you're going through this with lexi. one of my best friends is going though the same with her son. it took him a few weeks, but he has come around and isn't feeling the seperation anxiety as much. i wish i had better advice. i am always thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. lots and lots of love, e!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had a nice trip. Ugg that situation with Lexi must be tough! :( And tough for everyone since you need your time alone and Daddy probably feels a bit sad about it too. I wish I had some good advice but sadly, I don't. I hope it passes very quickly though. So tough. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its just one of those quirks about cosleeping. If my daughter wakes up, she has to see me to go back to sleep. Dad will not do. I usually try and time when I get up, when I can hear her breathing and know (or guess) she is in deep sleep, so she won't wake up. But its definitely a tough one. Glad to know things are going back to normal

    ReplyDelete