It seems like it is one thing after another around here and I am so sorry for the downer posts lately!
The latest is this:
We currently are using insurance provided through my job. Which, since I am a teacher, ends in June - I will not be returning to work next school year. So, we have to switch to my husbands work insurance. I am less than thrilled with the provider, but oh well, we HAVE to have insurance.
This wouldn't be a big deal except that my insurance will end in June and baby, though officially due in August, will be here in July....if not sooner. I am covered for all of my maternity and delivery care through the VA since I am a disabled veter.an. So this is no big deal. The problem is this: my OB is only affiliated with one hospital in the area AND what will be our new insurance is not. Which means that the baby would be covered, but at the out-of-network cost - which is HIGH - more than double that of an in-network hospital. AND, if she comes as early as they say she could if there are any more complications, then that will mean NICU time.
The high risk dr I have seen (though I will be getting a second opinion) wants to deliver at a different hospital - which is in-network for our new insurance (and the second opinion dr, should we switch, is at a different in-network hospital as well). Either way, my regular OB is not affiliated with these other hospitals. There is a chance she can try and get temporary privileges but not a guarantee.
So, this may mean having to switch OB's - something I am not excited about.
The other issue is this: I don't want to be 'caught' in the middle of switching insurance companies with baby in the hospital. I am sure it would work out somehow, but I just don't want to deal with the headache of fighting insurance companies after baby is born.
SO, I have to decide what to do about my work. I could resign, though I DO NOT want to do this with only 44 days of school left - I think this would make it incredibly hard to find a teaching job when/if I return to working in a year or two or more. I could go on medical leave - work has already offered me this option. This would allow me to "bow out gracefully" I guess and since I have not been there for a year, it would be unpaid (except for my few sick days I have left) and I would lose my insurance, making it so we could pick up hubby's.
I just hate to stop working. Thankfully, financially, we will be fine. All of my check goes to savings so we wouldn't miss it for daily living.
I don't know what to do - any advice?? I know you can't tell me what to do, but I just need some input/thoughts on this whole situation!
Thanks!!


Go on medical leave and pick up R's insurance. Insurance is a headache, and with anything other than a totally 'normal' delivery/hospital stay it only gets worse, and you don't need the stress now or after baby girl arrives. Plus, taking a little off your plate now and getting some Lexi time in before baby wouldn't hurt either :)
ReplyDeleteI don't really have any advice, except repeating what you probably already know. There should not be even one day where you are not covered by insurance. Make sure all the changes are made before the baby arrives, else the companies will go back and forth with the payments - more grey hair for you. Don't use an out of network hospital, the cost is too high. It seems easier to switch OBs even if that is difficult for you. Make sure you have enough coverage for the NICU stay. My daughter's NICU stay of 35 days ( I know it was specialized care because she was so critical) cost the insurance a million dollars (yes thats right) after all the insurance discounts. Fortunately, our coverage is great and we only paid 1000 $ out of that. So please make sure its al in order. A medical stay is enough to make a person go bankrupt!!
ReplyDeleteUgg I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this! :( It must be incredibly stressful. My advice would be to take the medical leave and pick up your husband's insurance in order to have it sorted ahead of time and not something you have to continue worrying about right up until and even after the baby is born. Again, sorry you even have to make this decision at all!
ReplyDeleteAfter 3 years of fighting insurance companies on just about everything, I have come to find that things almost always work out. So have your obgyn petition for special privileges, and stick to work while you still can. Everything will work out just fine... I promise!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you're facing these decisions, E. I don't have the best advice but it sounds like you really want to stick with work right now...and I totally get that and hope that you can and that it all works out. I won't stop praying for you! Lots and lots of love
ReplyDeleteXoxox
Maria
such complications!! I'm so sorry you are facing these extra headaches, on top of facing some difficult medical realities.
ReplyDeleteMy only solution (become a Canadian citizen in the next month) is not really a solution. Hope we can chat on skype this week.