baby pregnancy

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Testing results and gender

I mentioned in my last post that we had opted to do the mater.nit21 test. It is a test for moms of "advanced maternal age" (just love that I fit in that category) or those who have had other results come back positive for downs. The test is a little over 99% accurate and is non-invasive, which we were excited about. Doing this test was important to us because not only my age, but since I have been diagnosed with POF we were worried that if my reserve is low that quality could be compromised as well. No one could give us a direct answer as to whether or not it would be or not - the answer was always 'not necessarily.' Not really an answer at all. The test actually identifies the baby's DNA that is mixed in with ours while we are pregnant (I don't know or understand all the science behind it, but that is the gist of it). After the blood is drawn, it takes about 10 days to get the results. It tests for several trisomy's and also determines gender - it can be done as early as 10 weeks! Amazing.
I had to go to the dr yesterday for some bleeding - not something you want to see at 14 weeks pregnant (well, ever in pregnancy really). They were able to find baby's heartbeat on the doppler then did an ultrasound. Baby looks good. There are 2 sacs of blood in my uterus - one on the cervix (which is long and closed) and one further up in the uterus. I still have partial pre.via, but it has only been a couple weeks since my last appointment. The important thing is that baby looks good, was moving, and had a strong heartbeat. The other stuff - well, there is nothing to do but wait and see.
While there, the dr said she had the results back from the testing! YAY! I knew it should be any day now. Baby is healthy - what a relief!!
AND, it is a GIRL!!!
Lexi is getting a sister :)
We are over the moon excited. Too bad many of the clothes I have for Lexi won't work since it is opposite seasons....some will though.
I NEVER imagined myself with girls when I thought of having kids. EVER. Funny how things work out.
We would like a boy and I am working on convincing R that we should try again (no IVF or anything, just to let it happen naturally, if it were to happen again).  We will see. He is reluctant right now.
Now, we get to think of a name for our next little princess!!


11 comments:

  1. Congratulations, E!! A little baby sister for Alexis...they will be adorable together and best of friends. So so sweet! I'm so happy to hear that your results came back and are all happy ones. I've been thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers! I've loved following your journey and it's just amazing and such a blessing to see where you are now. I'm so happy for you!
    Wishing you a relaxing night!! Xoxox
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria! We are really happy :)
      You are in my prayers as well, can't wait for you to get to meet your little angel!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes! Sisters and hopefully best friends! Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. I am so excited for you!! :) It is going to be awesome for Lexi and baby to be to have eachother as sisters and best friends throughout their lives. I always wanted a sister. Lucky girls. So happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are glad she will have a sister - I know they will have their moments; my sister and I did, but ultimately I hope they are very best friends!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on baby girl!! Oh, how fun that they will grow up together so close in age. Any name prospects yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a list of names we are tossing around. It is so much harder this time to think of a name!

      Delete
  5. Awesome, fantastic news on all fronts, E. I'm glad the testing came back looking great, and that Lexi will be growing up with a sister. So sweet!!
    I can't tell you how thrilled I am for you that this pregnancy is unfolding well. And at 14 weeks, baby is getting bigger in relation to the SCH, and the threat that they pose reduces every week.

    ReplyDelete