baby pregnancy

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Name Game

When we began to believe that our first baby would be sticking around for the long haul we started discussing names. It did not take us long to come up with a name for a girl, R said I have always really liked this name - I agreed that I liked it too and voila, Alexis had her name. I asked what he thought of Grace for her middle name, he agreed and bam; done. A boy's name took us a little more discussion...but not much. We had these picked out before we had our 20w ultrasound and found out we were having a girl. Easy-peasy.

But this time? Oh my are we struggling. We know we are having another girl and have a list of names that we both agree are nice names - but nothing that either of us just loves. While there are a couple of front-runners...nothing is sticking out.

Now, I know we have plenty of time to get this all figured out. But, I almost feel guilty that we can't pick a name out as easily as we did the first time. And, for whatever reason, I feel pressure to decide (not from anyone other than myself I guess). I am not sure why it is so important to me to pick a name soon for baby girl 2, but it REALLY is. I seriously think about it all the time. I lay in bed at night and think about what her name might be. I wake up thinking about it. And frankly, it is making me nuts. Maybe it is my way of NOT thinking about other things that I probably should be thinking of. I don't know.

If we were having a boy, it would be 'easy' since we already had a name picked out....who knows? Maybe someday we will get to use that name - of course we could change our minds by then about the name but that is a ways off...IF it ever even becomes a need.

We don't want something from the top 20 list from the last year or so....which works out since none of those names have made our short list. But have you looked at baby name sites? Wow are there some strange names.

So, how did you decide on a name? Was it hard?


3 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat!! We really struggle with boy names; did the first time around and now this time when it really matters. I think we are 95% sure that we have come up with a first name, now just have to come up with the perfect middle name for it to be complete. I think that's why there is still 5% of me that's not totally on board with the first name yet. Good luck, I know how hard it can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. steve and i were the opposite. we found it much harder to agree on a boy name than a girl. a little over two years ago, i was sitting in our living room and our baby girl's name just popped into my head. when steve got home from work i told him (thinking he'd despise it). but he freaked out and loved it and there was no turning back. i feel ya bc we still talk about the possibility if we have a boy someday and get into discussions about name choices. :)
    wishing you lots of luck! xoxox
    i hope you're feeling well!
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony and I are the same with names for #2 (whenever that happens). We LOVED Lids' name and have a boy name that we really like and that is special to us but not the same love. And another girl's name? Nope, no idea. We picked Lids' name because growing up Anthony loved the song Lydia the Tattooed Lady by the Muppets, but he always thought it said A-LYDIA instead of Oh Lydia.. so when we suggested what he thought it was, I fell inlove. We went with the i spelling as in Spanish (so for anyone down here) the Y spelling didn't really make sense as they don't use y's like that.... and we thought the i suited better with her middle name (Kai)... so yeah, that is how that happened and we both love her name so much. Hope you find the one that you fall inlove with too!! :)

    ReplyDelete