baby pregnancy

Friday, August 26, 2011

Thoughts?

I am at the point where I need to let my school district know how I am going to "handle" maternity leave. I can use up any or all of my accrued sick time + family leave (a total of six weeks off, paid). Here's the thing, I work from home - I am a high school teacher. So my choices are:
1. Take the 6 weeks off paid and enjoy the time with baby
2. Take some time off for the live classes I have each week (this would come out to about a day a week off) and just answer email and complete the grading.

I am torn, at first I thought that option 2 was the way I would go, but now I am not so sure. Part of this uncertainty comes from knowing that I won't be at this same job next year anyway since we are moving back "home" to Colorado at the end of the school year - if I was staying then I would likely do option 2 - since I am not, I am leaning towards option 1. This shouldn't be this difficult of a decision. The part of me that knows that there is a VERY real chance that this is the only child we will have says to just take the time off (I haven't found a money tree to pay for another DE IVF cycle) and part of me wonders, and I know it is likely ridiculous, if I will be a little bored with no work to do....(I know, don't hate me, I know that babies are a lot of work, that is why I said it is ridiculous!)

So, I would like to know your thoughts - what would you do in this situation?
Also....do I work right up until baby is born or take off a few days/week before due date?
Decisions, decisions...

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... These are good questions. I was 'lucky' enough to get pregnant with twins, and my doctor didn't want to let me work past 25 weeks. I ended up being allowed on disability so I collected that. I fully intended to return on a part time basis, but my department went belly up while I was gone and everyone but the two most senior employs were laid off. I got a letter in the mail with a big check for sick time, vacation, etc...but no more job. Being a teacher is so different because you have the summer off, but what if you don't have your baby in the summer? It seems confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say take the time. No use saving it up, enjoy the babe and don't worry about school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say take the time off. Six weeks - what a great opportunity to bond with baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you!! I have been so stressed with all these decisions. I worked so hard to have the baby..that is all i thought about for so long, and now..at 19 weeks..almost 20 weeks...there are some major life changes coming at me and the decisions are so important. I am deciding to work until the baby is born..so I can spend as much time with the baby as possible. To rest..to take my time, and to bond with the baby. We deserve this right! 6 weeks is just not enough..at all!!! is should be 3 months really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pondering the same kinds of questions about how to best handle my mat leave as well...My job and my boss are extremely flexible, so although I don't work at home, I know that there are a lot of options to choose from. My struggle is how to take the most time off before I have to return to work full time.

    Six weeks seems like a minimum amount of time to just have with you and the new babe, so I'd say take it if you can swing it financially. I plan to work as long as I can in order to save up my time for after the baby gets here. Good luck - these are big choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say take the time as well....enjoy all the time with your sweet baby! Since you're moving your hours won't transfer with you will they? I know a lot of teachers work up to their due date to get as much time as they can with their baby. 6 weeks isn't too long of a time...wish we got longer!! Good luck with your decision! And can't wait to hear what you are going to have!!! So exciting E!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would go w/option 1. I think you will want to devote all your time and energy into your little one. (even if that just means staring at him/her for an hour)
    They are only little once!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say, take the 6 wks off - and those 6 weeks will probably fly by before you even realize! You deserve to spend every possible minute with ur precios bubba.
    In fact, I am planning to take my 12 week FMLA - who knows if and when i'll get to use it, so whats the point of saving up?

    ReplyDelete