First off, thank you all for the prayers, good thoughts and love yesterday. You have no idea how much it means to me to know that there are people I can turn to when things are rough.
I have a much better perspective and frame of mind today, than I did yesterday right after the dr called.
The Quad Screening test (which detects AFP) did come back abnormal indicating there could be a problem with baby girl. I am hanging on to the hope that it was a 'false positive' and that she is just fine. I know that this is a possibility.
The high risk dr called yesterday afternoon and I have an appointment on Tuesday afternoon - which seems like a LONG ways off, but in reality it isn't. So I am thankful they could get me in so quickly. My regular OB was hopeful that they could get me in before I see her again on the 25th and they did.
At my appointment this past Monday, she had discussed with me the possibility of sending me to see the high risk dr anyway if the placenta issue hadn't resolved. This blood work just moved that appointment up, so she requested they check out the placenta while they are looking at baby.
Thanks to the mate.rnati21 test done a few weeks ago, we know with 99.something % certainty that baby does not have downs or Trisomy 18 (and one other trisomy...can't remember which one). So that leaves a neural tube defect, the most likely of which is spi.na bi.fida.
Between now and Tuesday, I am going to focus on what we KNOW, because thinking of the unknown is scary. So, here is what we know:
- baby girl is growing, has a strong heart beat, and is moving (which I hope means if she does have spin.a bifi.da that she isn't paralyzed, though I don't know that this means she won't be...)
- all other blood work has come back "normal"
- I have had no bleeding for the past week
- We are going to be OK, regardless of what Tuesday brings
Thank you all again...from the bottom of my heart.


I just wanted to let you know that the problem you mentioned, placenta accreta, that you experienced in your last pregnancy, can cause the AFP to be elevated in the Quad screen. So it may not be spinal problems at all but just a reoccurance of that issue. Please try not to worry, it can be managed, although it is a serious issue, chances are your little girl is fine.
ReplyDeleteThat is good news to hear, thank you for sharing it!
DeletePraying for a false positive in all of this!
ReplyDeletePraying for you.
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I opted not to do screening during my recent pregnancy, and then we found out after my son was born that he has Down syndrome. If we are blessed with another baby someday, I will definitely do the screening. I want to minimize the chance of any birth day surprises next time.
I am glad you are able to focus on those positives. I think that is really important.. especially your last point, it will be okay, no matter what. Thinking of you and hoping Tuesday brings a false positive. So sorry you have to go through this.
ReplyDeleteYou ARE going to be okay. Praying for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteyou have such an amazing perspective. i'm so glad to hear you're in a better place...just in your words, it is evident that you are. i can't imagine what you're going through - you are so strong and brave. i won't stop praying for you and your family. i hope tomorrow brings nothing but good news. you'll be on my mind. <3<3<3
ReplyDeletemaria
E...I am sorry I have been away and haven't checked in. I will be thinking good thoughts for you tomorrow. Keep thinking positive!! sending love
ReplyDelete