baby pregnancy

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Eating: I need help!

OK, so Lexi has a great appetite - kid LOVES to eat.

Here is the problem...she is very selective about what she will eat. She only wants to feed herself, which is fine and so much easier.
Here is what she will willingly eat (its a short list):

- yogurt
- pouches, but mostly just the ones with fruit and yogurt, occasionally she will eat some with veggies
- peas
- carrots
- grilled cheese sandwich
- mac and cheese
- Ger.ber breakfast/cereal bars and various other snacks by this company
- puffs
- pizza

I know some of these items are not good for her - but when it is all she will eat...well, I go for it, kid has to eat!

I am at a loss. I don't know what to do to get her to eat a wider variety of foods. There are times she will eat something else, but it is rare.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance :)

8 comments:

  1. I wish I had some suggestions for you. Chloe will eat quite a variety of things, but it can be hit or miss and we never know why one day she'll love something and the next day she'll refuse it. Can you tell if it's certain textures she doesn't like? Have you tried fish or any kind of meat yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't really seem to be textures, not as far as I can tell anyway. We have tried meats and it is hit and miss, one time she will eat it and the next she wants nothing to do with it - refusing to even put it in her mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help but we struggle so much with food. I'd be happy if Lids ate even a couple of the things on your list at this point! :( However, the one thing I can say is that we have been trying smoothies more and more and they are usually a hit since Lids does like yogurt and it sounds like Lexi does too. Start with a nice 'starter' smoothie with mainly just fruit and yogurt like a banana strawberry or banana mango smoothie with plain full fat yogurt... then gradually start adding a bit of veggies in them... like mango pea smoothie, carrot and orange smoothie... or any fruit smoothie that you just throw a bit of baby spanish or kale in with. Start with just a little, ten build up until they are pretty veggie filled! I am actually just off to the store to get supplies to try a few different ones this week as Lids is sick again and losing weight from not eating ANYTHING. Ugg.. toddlers are tough, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the same boat over here. Jake will eat some things some days but for the most part our list looks very similiar to yours. I have started adding applesauce to meat and that seems to work. Messy but he will at least put it in his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are some that we have tried or are trying today:

    Strawberry Banana Smoothie
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup whole milk
    1 cup strawberry chunks
    2 small bananas
    splash of orange juice
    about 5 ice cubes

    Carrot Mango Smoothie
    1/4 cup whole milk
    1/4 whole fat yogurt
    1 cup mango chunks
    1 cup grated carrot
    dash of cinnamon and nutmeg

    Mango Avocado Smoothie
    1 cup milk (almond or whole)
    1/2 avocado
    1/2 cup mango chunks
    1/2 cup ice

    Banana Oat Smoothie
    1 large banana
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1/2 cup milk (almond or whole)
    1/4 cup oats
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1 cup ice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to suggest smoothies too. Another idea is to throw some oats in the blender first and get them super fine- then make your smoothie as usual. It thickens it up, almost spoon worthy, and leaves you super full. I also know a few picky eaters who love beans- mashed up or whole pinto/black beans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the great ideas - I am off to the store (as soon as I get done with this awful grading...ugh) to pick up some of these ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter is not a big eater and its always a hit or miss. Do you give her regular things that you all eat? Not bland baby food stuff, but regular chicken, pasta, rice, soups etc that you make for yourself? 'cause my daughter prefers spicy indian regular table food. I do tone down the spice of course, but she prefers that to anything bland. How about over baked french fries? Have you seen the website weelicious? They have some great dinner ideas. Also, these kids can gum down anything. My daughet has 2 teeth (at 16 months!) and will gum anything :O

    ReplyDelete