baby pregnancy

Monday, July 18, 2011

Need some help from my NW friends!

OK, so we have lived here for about 1 1/2 years - so not too long. Working from home makes it hard to meet people, and all of my coworkers are spread out across the state - the closest being about 3 hours away. While R does have a job outside the home and we have met people through that - his crazy schedule limits our availability. We have gotten out and done some exploring, but not a whole lot.

Lately there has been a lot of talk about moving to Florida - one day it is off the table, the next it is back on as a serious possibility. While I would LOVE to move somewhere that the climate is more agreeable to us both, I truly think that staying here is for the best - primarily because moving is SO expensive.

So here is where I need your help - I need some suggestions on some fun things that we can go do - it doesn't have to be anything crazy - just some stuff to do. R has Wednesday and Thursday off this week (the first days off in the last 9 days) so, when he asks 'what do you want to do this weekend' (we call any of his days off the weekend whether it falls on the weekend or not) I would like to have some suggestions - or even plan a day as a surprise.

My hope is that if we can start getting out and enjoying all that the area has to offer then maybe we will both be happier here!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

5 comments:

  1. Here are my recommendations…..
    Hood River- We enjoy watching the wind surfers on the river and driving the fruit loop to pick/buy fresh fruits.

    Oregon Gardens and Silver Falls

    Cannon Beach- Don’t miss Bruce’s candy shop, Pizza a’fetta for lunch and JP’s for dinner.

    Japanese Gardens

    I'm sure I can come up with some more.... I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I can't be of help, I am about as far East of you as one can get! (Jersey Shore) I just wanted to thank you for your comments on my blog. It's helpful to hear from others who have gone through something similar and are now pregnant. It's good to know it can get better, even though I'm not seeing that right now. Congratulations on your pregnancy! :) I'm looking forward to reading your story and to hearing about a healthy baby in a few months! Okay, I need to suggest something if I'm commenting....how about a nice bed and breakfast near some hiking trails?? That's all I have, sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love going to Hornings Hideout especially to see concerts when we are in your neck of the woods. Our friends up there participate in all sorts of recreational leagues like slosh ball. The Kennedy School for dinner and a movie is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have only lived here for 1.5 years... so we are still exploring the area. A few things we enjoy are.....
    - eating at the food carts (there are some really good clusters of them.... if you are interested I can give you the address )

    - we used to love hiking, I can't wait to get back on the trails... one of our fav. spots was the gorge. The drive alone is so beautiful.... a picnic down there is a lot of fun.

    - We love the Hawthorne area... we are big fans of the Waffle Window. The waffles are to die for. We sometimes head over to Powells bookstore which is just across the street and enjoy a coffee/tea.

    - we also like to go to 'cheap' movie theaters.... our fav are academy and LaurelHurst.

    - We just drove up to Hood River--- and loved it.

    - I know right now there are a lot of 'concerts in the Park' We have not been able to go to any because of my bed rest issue- but we have wanted to go for a while to check it out.

    - The Saturday market is kind of cool. And we love going to all the Farmers Markets. The one near PSU is our fav.

    I am not sure what kind of things that you and your husband enjoy. Moving to a new place is hard.... its more difficult than we thought it would be to meet new people.

    I hope you have a great 'week-end' and find something new and wonderful to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a friend in the Portland area:

    It is a bit harder with their weekend being during the week as Portland summer has lots of festivals that run through the weekend. If they do get evenings on the weekend (Fri thru Sun) they should check out the Bite festival in August at the Portland waterfront (all local foods) and the pirate festival in september for a laugh

    Really, it depends what they like to do. If they like outdoors stuff there is the Japanese gardens and the rose gardens (this one is free) and they are beautiful. These are all near the Oregon zoo which is a fun visit too. The Oregon zoo has a summer concert series where basically every week through fall there will be a concert on one or two evenings. This whole area is called Washington Park and has lots of hiking and biking trails too.

    They live in Vancouver - there is a great movie theater called Cinetopia up there. You can eat and drink in your movie seat and they have it as a living room style where you get ottomans for your feet and comfy chairs. Fun way to see movies. Locally owned too.

    Hope that is a start at least. If they have any specific things they like to do let me know (such as are they foodies, do they love live music etc) then I can think of some more specifics

    ReplyDelete